Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > Re: Cheap Trick, anyone?
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cheap Trick, anyone?

The time does keep ticking away! We should make the best of it. I take too many naps!and stay up way to late.Did they have a love ballad hit? I can't recall. I probably liked it.

Email  

Paul, you're probably thinking of "The Flame", a hit from their 1988 album *Lap of Luxury*, and probably NOT thinking of *Woke Up With a Monster*, from the same-titled 1994 album, tee hee. ;-)

Email  

I try to listen to other musicians in the R&R / Blues world but almost everything leaves me cold. I have no idea why. I am now watching Joe B. on PBS and some of it is very nice but I am not inspired to hear it again. I am still monumentally surprised by my reaction to the music of Alvin Lee. I have no idea why his songs thrill and captivate me so much. I am curious to figure it out.

I most often don't think,I just knee jerk react.I thought cheap trick likely had an acoustic ballad similar to most of the hair bands of the time,that were popular."example" every rose,something to believe in ect. great tunes ! They just all escape me when it comes to who recorded them.But really have not been a fan.

Email  

I've watched this PBS; Bonamassa program twice this week.Like an addict ,Hook, line & sinker I am.I do really enjoy his music.Especially after he teamed up with Kevin Shirley .
He is filling the void, until Alvin's next release!

Email  

Hi Paul. I heard a very slow, pretty part that was truly beautiful. I wouldn't mind knowing which song that was so I could hear it again.

Robin:Its difficult to say what song you enjoyed from your description. There are 19 tracks on the dvd, and pbs only previewed a few.The Joe and Beth Hart duets did not make the pbs footage at all.

Email  

I will watch the show again. Thanks, Paul .

I know what you mean, Robin... Joe B.'s playing *is* very nice, but it's just not *personally* compelling to me. This isn't a slam on anyone who does find it so, or on Joe or his playing. It's just another example of "different strokes for different folks", whether in life, love, or musical preference. For example, some of Cheap Trick's power vocal harmonies give me chills and get inside my brain cells (such as in the refrain on "All We Need is a Dream"), but someone else may find them merely pleasant, or may dislike that style, for all I know. But I do know why you find Alvin's music so thrilling, Robin: Alvin himself, of course! You and I don't find Joe B. *personally* captivating, and we do Alvin. I don't mean this exists on any shallow level. I don't mean that it's just about sex appeal, either, although some of it certainly is. ;-) Alvin just has very strong "vibes"/personal magnetism, and stirs us profoundly in a truly magical way, both through his brilliant playing/expressive vocals, and through his considerable personal charisma. Magic always has something of mystery to it, though. So enjoy it. Don't analyze it too much! ;-)

Quote: Robin
I try to listen to other musicians in the R&R / Blues world but almost everything leaves me cold. I have no idea why. I am now watching Joe B. on PBS and some of it is very nice but I am not inspired to hear it again. I am still monumentally surprised by my reaction to the music of Alvin Lee. I have no idea why his songs thrill and captivate me so much. I am curious to figure it out.

Email  

Laurie, you are so right about Alvin. I try to detach myself from Alvin the captivating male, and just concentrate on his songs. I try to repress what his vocals do to me as a woman. I try. But I fail.

Thanks for reminding me that I don't have to work so hard. I will just let it be.

And yes, the music of Alvin Lee engages me as no other contemporary artist/musician. His songs are absolutely compelling on so many levels. I was and am riveted by his immense talent.

Wow.... 1978 3 nights @ LA Forum, Montrose, Cheap Trick, and....Kiss. A few months later, Flo & Eddie and TYL. Good summer!

Email