Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Joe G

Can't say I've heard the new lineup with joe G. have not had an interest.Leo is a super Bassist with an attention catching stage presence .Rick & Chick both are good musicians. But somehow adding Joe to the mix hasn't set with me.Maybe I should give them a chance, as musicians .There isn't much joe can take from Alvin at this time. Unless it would be advice or stretching and holding a note.

Email  

The problem for people wanting to be the next Alvin is that once they have practised long and hard enough to get there, Alvin has moved on to new heights in his playing and music creation. There can be only one original.

Like Alvin, I'm not entirely happy about their choice of band name, but I have nothing against any of the members in the "new TYA" and whish them all the best in their struggle to "survive" in this hardening music world.

@ Toni

You know Toni this Joe, for last 7 years is going around Europe and performing TYA songs. This 3 other members could have easilly selected some much less talented, or even better, would not change a thing.
A modified Tribute band.

If you look on positive side, at least thousands of people as listeing to Alvin songs, 70 concerts a year, and Joe is OK....

Of course, he is an weasle, as he should have come out saying, I love Alvin, he is the Best, I am keeping the legacy going...etc....What he is doing, acting like his influences are Petrucci etc....Garbage. If you watch the interview, everytime Alvin is mentioned, their faces grim, while I could understand others, what Joe had to do with it.....It shows his caracter.

I really hope, he reads this, and he is still young, to utilze his talens in full, playing his music, and see if there is something there for him.... On other hand if that happens, they could replace him with "average" Joe, that is less competent. there is no good solutions. Alvin is going to hate any of them-rightfully.

My jugdement on Joe, that he is good rithym guitarist, good chops, but thin sounded hands, uses heavy effects to compensate etc.....

This is probaly more written about Joe in his career.

Question for Alvinf fans: Alvin in 1982-1985 used a curly cable from AMP to a something rolled in towel, and than into guitar. Was that a booster box, or just a patch to a longer cable.......I always wondered!

I don't know what the purpose of the towel was in Alvin's case, but two possible explanations I've seen with other guitarists:

I've seen a towel on an amp get pulled down and caught on a curled cord

I know of one guitarist that didn't like the curled cord stretched so straight from input to guitar that used a towel to add a slight weight to the cord half way between guitar and input

Other than that, haven't a clue

@PGM

I have nothing against Joe. He was an unknown player asked to join a band of established and respected musicians - anyone would have said yes. But you're right that he has shown no humility or grace towards Alvin. I once read that he said anyone could play Alvin's licks, and that was the last thing I chose to read about/by him. It ****** me off then, but after all this time, I'm just over it.

I don't much care anymore what TYAN does or what they call themselves. They have now been together longer than Alvin led TYA, so it is what it is. No hard feelings. Leo is one of the all time great bass players, and I'm glad he and Ric and Chick are still out there working. But what their band is not and never will be is the original Ten Years After. Without Alvin, they are a different band, and that band can never be as great as they were with him.

Robin, if it was The Night of the Guitars, look for it. And then listen to Alvin play "No Limit" and watch his intensity as he plays it. You will be in awe.

Quote: Robin
Toni, now that I think of it, this performance was a gathering of several different artists who played together for a special occasion. I am not going to bother to look for the video, since I am probably mistaken about Joe G. Thanks for saving me a lot of time.

Hi Toni. Thank you for sending me to "No Limit". It is fascinating to watch Alvin play purely for the musicality. I think one of the reasons I am drawn to his music, even though I am not drawn to any other R&R artist, is that it has many of the same characteristics as the classical music I love. I have no idea how to describe this or explain it. Perhaps it is the level of Alvin's artistry? I don't know. But it moves me on the same level in many ways. I have a very good feeling that I will learn the why's and how's here in this community.

The video I saw was not Night of the Guitars. I checked those out just now on YouTube. I am fairly certain I will run into it again. I am very curious to see why I thought it was Joe G. I do recall that Alvin was the third or fourth musician to be introduced on stage and I was a bit indignant that he wasn't number one. :)

Email  

Go girl, you have said it all Toni ! thanks pw

Email  

Quote: Toni
@PGM

I have nothing against Joe. He was an unknown player asked to join a band of established and respected musicians - anyone would have said yes. But you're right that he has shown no humility or grace towards Alvin. I once read that he said anyone could play Alvin's licks, and that was the last thing I chose to read about/by him. It ****** me off then, but after all this time, I'm just over it.

I don't much care anymore what TYAN does or what they call themselves. They have now been together longer than Alvin led TYA, so it is what it is. No hard feelings. Leo is one of the all time great bass players, and I'm glad he and Ric and Chick are still out there working. But what their band is not and never will be is the original Ten Years After. Without Alvin, they are a different band, and that band can never be as great as they were with him.

Well said Toni, i completely agree with you.I don't want to compare Joe with Alvin,because there's nothing to compare.TYAN can play in my neighbour's home,i definitely will not go.

Email  

PGM you posted the JOE G tread on the wrong website . This Alvin s website where we dicuss Alvin Lee s music.
Please post all about Joe G and Co on the Ten - Years - After . Com
Bit insulting reading about Joe here on Alvins site.
Remember the Last 13 years Alvin Lee made wonderfull music with Pete Pritchard on Bass and Richard Newman on drums.

Pieter, in fairness, this is an old thread from February brought back to the top by Robin - not PGM (who, by the way, was on our side about Joe).

Gosh, Toni, you took
the words right out of my mouth. Exactly, word for word.

Sorry to all for the misunderstanding.

I understand. But After Alvin passed away i am maby oversensative by posts wich not concern Alvin and aspecially post wich belong on to the other TYAN .com ., site keep popping up on Alvin s site.

As soon as people post on those treads they wil service on top.
I hope both this one and Leo s will dissapear soon.
Sorry for being so protective and oversensative.

Quote: Pieter
I understand. But After Alvin passed away i am maby oversensative by posts wich not concern Alvin and aspecially post wich belong on to the other TYAN .com ., site keep popping up on Alvin s site.

As soon as people post on those treads they wil service on top.
I hope both this one and Leo s will dissapear soon.
Sorry for being so protective and oversensative.

We all grieve in different ways, dear Pieter. I find lately that it helps my own grief to talk about other topics here in a free-flow some of the time, and even to engage in some humor, as some of us always used to do. For days, at first, though, I felt too sad even to post.

I just hope we can all try to be more understanding of each other's differences. It's not easy to be perfect, especially when grieving. I don't even know how to write something worth posting here in a detached or restrained manner-- I'm a passionate person, and feel passionate about Alvin. That, and sometimes the desire to entertain and amuse, form the space that I've come from in dozens or hundreds of posts here. If I step outside of that, I'll never make any mistakes here, but I will be somewhat uptight about tripping up, and I won't connect with the right free-flow Muses, so my posts may not be particularly distinctive. The creative process is a complicated thing sometimes. Suddenly I feel depressed. If I may say so.

Email  

Quote: Laurie

I just hope we can all try to be more understanding of each other's differences. It's not easy to be perfect, especially when grieving. I don't even know how to write something worth posting here in a detached or restrained manner-- I'm a passionate person, and feel passionate about Alvin. That, and sometimes the desire to entertain and amuse, form the space that I've come from in dozens or hundreds of posts here. If I step outside of that, I'll never make any mistakes here, but I will be somewhat uptight about tripping up, and I won't connect with the right free-flow Muses, so my posts may not be particularly distinctive. The creative process is a complicated thing sometimes. Suddenly I feel depressed. If I may say so.

OK, I think I'm snapping out of my sudden funk now, for whatever that's worth. Anecdotal till the end, that's me! ;-) What I'm trying to say is that making sure this board includes and respects *all* Alvin's fans may not just be about everyone miraculously managing to maintain perfect posting behavior every moment, or never writing anything that anyone could possibly ever find fault with-- if indeed such behavior or such writing could even exist. It might also mean engaging in a greater degree of laissez-faire, maybe developing more tolerance and understanding for others with quite different personalities, views, interests, and communication styles, not all of which we're going to click with personally. Do we really all have to be or behave the same? If we aren't and don't, especially if we make any interaction mistakes, it may be for a whole host of complicated reasons, not necessarily meaning coming from a position of lack of respect for others.

We're already expressing ourselves through a medium in which we can't hear someone's tone of voice or see his or her facial expressions. That's kind of a big deal sometimes, as millions of people on the Internet have learned in an assortment of sometimes uncomfortable or hurtful cyber-situations. What's the solution? I think at least some of it has to be becoming more philosophical and expansive about the many ways in which others may not be as we are, or think, speak, and write as we do-- which also means being more forgiving, if not in the moment, then at the end of the day.

Email