Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > Re: Even more scary "1977=1980 & 2009=2012"
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Even more scary "1977=1980 & 2009=2012"

"You people"? Who people, Dale? Not sure whom you're lumping me in with, but I'm an independent-minded critter, and among my life's personae is a scholarly bluestocking as well as a fun-loving bacchante, so I have long been in the habit of critical thinking. I just plain like Obama, and I don't wanna ditch him for his mistakes. All things in this election considered, I think his potential and positives outweigh any negatives. Also, I'm not comfortable with serious concerns about women's freedom in our own bodies being characterized as "beatching"...perhaps you don't mean to come off as disrespectful and dismissive to me and other women when you choose such wording, BUT... Too many men still seem to think of women's health and freedom issues as peripheral, "other", or less than urgent and compelling. You seem to be not merely in disagreement about Obama, but actually rather angry that anyone likes him. Not sure why he needs to be the first with certain actions or ideas in order for them to be valid. Never said you're a Republican... just wondered if you were supporting one, or whatever other party's candidate, this November. Hey, Roseanne is running... ;-)

Quote: DLM3201
you people read what you want to read and defend who you want to defend.
Like I said: NO I'm not a Republican.
Womens rights? you'd better read the Obama care health plan, then beatch about women's rights.

Peace,
DLM

What's Obama vision?
Solar power = was thought of years ago.
Natural gas for cars = thought of years ago
Non dependence on foriegn oil = was thought of years
wind power = thoght of years ago ago.
He said Germany has it - has he been to Indiana lately?

Name me an Obama=Vision that hasn't been thought of before

I cannot tell you who I'd be voting for, it isn't November 2012 yet

Email  

Quote: Laurie
1.Any current malaise or funk in our country, however troubling, and our unemployment rates and other economic woes, however painful, are scarcely all attributable to Obama, whatever his mistakes.

2.What specifically is he delegating to others.
n?

1 did you read my whole post? he inherited it?
2. how many czars has he appionted?

Peace,
DLM

Laurie, i beg to differ.

You are the one that blasts anyone who doesn't agree with you and snuggle up to them when they do.

you always quote someone's one or two words implying they're related to you.
not only my posts.
you want to lump yourself into "you people", that's your paranonia.

hey I'm all for womwn's rights..................I was around during ERA.

Now they are being considered for front line duty in the military, I donot agree.

If you read ALL MY WORDS im my post, I'm not angry at anyone who appreciates Obama, I see similarities and point them out.

did you read anywhere that I did not like him or want him to fail?

Peace,
DLM

Yup, I read your whole post. I didn't memorize it, but what's your concern? He inherited what? Czars he appointed? Not sure what points you're trying to make with the below, except that my complete question in #2 was to ask what he's delegating that you'd have him doing differently. Please clarify.

1.Any current malaise or funk in our country, however troubling, and our unemployment rates and other economic woes, however painful, are scarcely all attributable to Obama, whatever his mistakes.

2.What specifically is he delegating to others...?

1 did you read my whole post? he inherited it?
2. how many czars has he appionted?

Peace,
DLM

Email  
Re: Laurie

you want a personal debate, let's take it to a neutral site, your choice, this isn't the place...

as for now I'm gonna sit beneath a rainbow & write poetry.

Peace,
DLM

Gee whiz, Dale. I said you *seem* angry about Obama. That was my *impression* from some of your tone, and from seeming to read between the lines in some of your content, such as your listing examples of Obama's alleged lack of originality of vision or action, when nobody here was claiming him to be original in those things. Why do you have to have *said* you're angry about him for me to gain the impression you might be in some way? It was just a comment, not a personal putdown! Maybe what I'm picking up on is simply that you may feel defensive on some level about criticizing Obama here. It was an idea, and I don't pretend to know for sure. I was frank and sometimes provocative in my forthrightness, as usual, but I didn't and *don't* stoop to hyperbole and overt personal insult on the board, as you've just done in my direction. Wow. Why so hostile? But leaving that issue aside for the moment, hey, you have a right to be angry at Obama if you want to, but if you're *not* angry at him, or with those who defend him, why not just say so reasonably, instead of so, well, angrily? You're only bolstering my original impression! And *I* beg to differ, buddy, but to reply to your very personal insults, I most certainly *don't* "blast" anyone who disagrees with me, or "snuggle up to" them, or to ANYBODY, when they agree. That's incredibly and deeply offensive, and it's false. I love playful banter as well as vigorous discussion and debate, but hyperbolic putdowns like yours should *not* be a part of them. There's a definite line between plain speech and overt insult, and you've just crossed it. I do *not* indulge in "paranoia", here or anywhere. Nor do I "always quote someone's one or two words implying they're related" to me! Say what?? Where do you get that? I think you are seriously misreading, misunderstanding, or misremembering some things. *You're* the one doing the blasting, dude. Why? I thought we were previously on amicable enough terms. I post here for enjoyment and to get my mind off some griefs and worries that are often a knife in my heart. I don't need to be personally attacked here by someone signing himself "Peace".

Laurie, i beg to differ.

You are the one that blasts anyone who doesn't agree with you and snuggle up to them when they do.

you always quote someone's one or two words implying they're related to you.
not only my posts.
you want to lump yourself into "you people", that's your paranonia.

hey I'm all for womwn's rights..................I was around during ERA.

Now they are being considered for front line duty in the military, I donot agree.

If you read ALL MY WORDS im my post, I'm not angry at anyone who appreciates Obama, I see similarities and point them out.

did you read anywhere that I did not like him or want him to fail?

Peace,
DLM

Email  

No, I didn't want a personal debate, Dale. *You* are the one who took it there, expressing obvious hostility and offending me deeply-- *you* take responsibility for it. Don't go projecting it onto me! As for the "you people" post, it was clearly in response to me, sequentially in the thread, and by the rest of its content, though you're now trying to claim it wasn't, and that I "always" make stuff about me from people's quotes that isn't. Balderdash. No thanks to the "neutral" venue, either. You've got a nerve telling *me* this isn't the place!! You made it the place! Any other time I'd love to debate the women-in-the-infantry issue with you, but I'm going to sign off, not subject my semi-dormant Welsh temper to any further severe and uncalled-for trials here, and go back to reading Kelly DeVries' *Joan of Arc: A Military Leader*. Standard-bearing mascot and "saint" be d*mned. She was a real soldier, a general, and a true military strategist, though she never made it out of her teens.

you want a personal debate, let's take it to a neutral site, your choice, this isn't the place...

as for now I'm gonna sit beneath a rainbow & write poetry.

Peace,
DLM

Email  

Laurie, what Dale does't realize is that comparing the Prez. And fmr. Prez. Carter, is like comparing Carter and poppy ( Read my lips..) Bush. Arguing politics or religion is death to a friendship. Don't fall for it you two!

Email  

Okay, I can't help myself.

Inherited: On the day Barack Obama took office, over 4 million jobs had been lost and the unemployment rate had risen to 7.8%. Banks were near collapse. The auto industry was in decline and facing massive layoffs. Housing prices had dropped over 30% nationally and the stock market was down more than 25%. 4 million more jobs were lost before implementation of the Recovery Act.

Since then, we have added jobs in every month for 23 months with a total gain of 3.7 million private sector jobs. Banks are solvent. The auto industry is profitable. Housing prices have basically stabilized and even increased minimally is some markets. The stock market is up 62%.

Czars, otherwise less ominously known as advisers: Bush had 33; Obama has 38. Would you want a President without adviser when times are this tough?

No "fights" just discussion. The country has a long way to go and we should make decisions based on facts. Just thought I'd share a few.

I was going to take a vacation from the board, at least for a day or two, but of course, despite waking up with a bad headache, I was curious to see what may have been written in this thread since I last posted. I appreciate your good intentions, Dave, but I find I can't resist commenting that it wasn't arguing politics that caused the problem here last night. It was the point at which Dale let loose with overt and seemingly hostile personal insult-- that I've allegedly been "blasting" people on the board and then "snuggling up" to them when they agree with me, that I "always" misquote them, making their comments about me when they're not, indulging in "paranoia", etc.-- all of which was so startling and hurtful that I couldn't help but defend myself. NONE of that was fated to be simply because we were talking politics! His attacking me personally among friends in a public forum just because I was debating Obama with him more stringently or successfully than he was apparently comfortable with is not OK with me, and if I can't say so in reply, then to Hel with it all. It was wrong of him, deeply offensive to me, and it just wasn't in me to back down. I wanted him and everyone who was reading to know exactly what I thought of it, though I sought to word myself reasonably, if angrily and with characteristic forthrightness. I don't believe in sweeping things under a rug. Nothing gets learned that way. This kind of sorting-out process needs to happen after something like this, in my view, or the whole thing was in vain. Dale's insults were extreme, unwarranted, and I think an apology is an order.

Quote: Dave May.
Laurie, what Dale does't realize is that comparing the Prez. And fmr. Prez. Carter, is like comparing Carter and poppy ( Read my lips..) Bush. Arguing politics or religion is death to a friendship. Don't fall for it you two!

Email  

It wasn't just a "fight", Toni, in which all factors are equal. It was a political debate in which Dale suddenly attacked me personally, I was horribly caught off guard, and then followed human impulse and stoutly defended myself. Pardon my pride, but who wants to be put down like that in a public forum? Politics had nothing to do with it. Sorry if my feelings about this are inconvenient to anyone, but I'm human, and I've sunk enough well-intentioned time into this board that I think they should matter somehow, or I don't belong here. I'm usually a pretty tough cookie, but I've got a lot on my plate right now in a heartbreaking stress-fest with a relative I'm worried sick about. My head is in a vise at the moment. Guess I'll sign off.

Email  

OK, the indignant Co-Queen of Cyber-Alvinland has calmed down now. The diva din has subsided. The palace walls are no longer shaking, and the cosmic chandeliers have even stopped shimmying. I felt stung, and I squawked about it some. I'm still not happy about Dale's remarks, and I don't ever tolerate that style of comment, but I feel I've made that abundantly clear. Life's too short to hang onto an upset, in any case, and I don't want the resta yez to be bummed by it. Yesterday's skull-crusher is finally fizzling, too, praise the Lady. We had another gorgeous snow here, which was very welcome to me, but the barometric pressure changes sometimes wreak havoc with my neck arthritis. I'll live. Anyway, thanks for posting that info, Toni. I've always thought it a good thing for a president (or a queen) to have plenty of advisors, as long as they're not just automatic yes-people. The more viewpoints, info, and expertise to hash out, the better, say I. Yes, I'm an opinionated soul, folks. Not only do I come from a family of stalwart discussers and debaters with strong academic backgrounds (for example, my dad taught high school Debate, along with English and other subjects), but I worked for years on a college campus, where vigorous exchange of ideas is par for the course, and not taken as a personal "blast". I always, always respect the right of someone to have other opinions. I'm an enthusiastic practitioner of what I call the Grand Old Art of Thought Provocation, and I love it when others are too. How boring life would be if we all agreed about everything all the time!!

Email  

How boring life would be if we all agreed about everything all the time!!

I totally agree!

Laurie, I admire your attitude. I always take things far too personally. I feel your pain re the neck arthritis. I recently obtained a tens unit and one of those over-the-door traction devices which help immensely , although I doubt they can help with the temperature changes.

Quote: Borje
How boring life would be if we all agreed about everything all the time!!

I totally agree!
Yeah, B, right on. It's a Scandinavian thing! My British-descended, NYC-born dad taught debate, but in his personal life, he usually preferred to take it easy and tell a lot of jokes and anecdotes. (Not that the Brits are any wimps when it comes to a jolly opinion exchange-- far from it!) My mom was just a natural debater, however, as was her Danish dad, and his Danish dad before him. Danes, at least the ones here in Iowa (the state with the most people of Danish descent), are WAY too stubborn and contrary to agree on much, heh heh, except good food and good beer! Which latter item, btw, my stubborn Swedish ex used to go to Danmark just to buy... partly for the price, though, I guess.

Email  

Thanks, Robin. :-) I've gotten tens therapy at the chiropractor's, but maybe I should get one of those traction thingies to have at home. Sounds like we're close in age-- I just turned 60 on the 6th. Alvin's music makes me feel like I'm 17 again, too! 1969 "was a very good year", to quote the Sinatra song... ;-)

Quote: Robin
Laurie, I admire your attitude. I always take things far too personally. I feel your pain re the neck arthritis. I recently obtained a tens unit and one of those over-the-door traction devices which help immensely , although I doubt they can help with the temperature changes.

Email  

Used to be a hothead, but the older I get, the more "comfortably numb" I become. A bit worrying in a way, because I can even laugh at stupid politicians these days and I don't even try to argue with the wife anymore. I mean, she's won every argument for 35 years, so why bother..

PS, Swedes used to go to Denmark because they had beer with more alcohol in it. Today people go to Germany or Poland for cheaper price. I don't go anywhere, because pure water is the cheapest and healthiest drink of them all.

Happy Birthday Laurie.

I will be 60 in April. I look forward to it. My youngest son is getting married two days after my birthday. I will be spending my b-day alone with my two sons walking around Manhattan, which is my favorite thing to do there.

I spent over $2,000 at the chiro getting tens treatments at $50 per 15-minute treatment. It helped a lot, but I stopped because that is a lot of money. You can imagine how upset I was to find that a very good quality home unit can be purchased online for about $30 or $40. You may need a prescription, I am not sure. But, now whenever I feel a flare-up coming on, I zap myself with the tens unit and it never develops. I was almost in despair and now I am happy as a lark.

As for Alvin and his music.... this morning I noticed that I have the smile of Mona Lisa on my face at all times. It feels so good to have his music and his face and his voice running through me like a river, every waking moment.

It is good to know that I am not alone in cherishing those juicy feelings of young love (and other things ). I wonder if men can really know just how powerful Alvin's attraction is for women.

Email  

Quote: Robin
.......I wonder if men can really know just how powerful Alvin's attraction is for women. ......
Oh, I imagine about 10% of them do! ;-)

Email  

Ah, yes.

Email  

Quote: Borje
....... I don't even try to argue with the wife anymore. I mean, she's won every argument for 35 years, so why bother.. ........
Tee hee....of course she has! I love it!

Email