Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > Re: Re: Best guitar solos?
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Good move Rob - change the subject back to the beginning. Hey, Ronnie, I know this was just a pretty emotional topic - you okay?

Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Hey Toni, I know you're a big Neil Young fan. Do you have a favorite Neil solo? Mine would be a 4-way toss up between "Powderfinger", "Down By The River", "Cowgirl In The Sand", and "Cortez The Killer"

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

When Neil played in a small club in Cotati CA with the Bluenotes he played some heart wrenching kinda atonal leads. Lonely yet beautiful.

Email  
Re: Best guitar solos?

I never did see any of the Bluenotes shows. I am very impressed. And Rob, I'm not very good at picking bests of anything because I change my mind all the time! But Down by the River is awesome.

Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

I never change my mind Toni..........yes I do........no, I don't.........trust me, I do!!!

Yeah, Brian, that kind of sums up Neils style for me, "atonal yet beautiful".

Hey Toni, I once saw a clip of "Down By The River" being played by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young on some documentary about the 60's. They only played a few seconds of it, but what I heard sounded great. For the longest time, I thought maybe it was on the CSNY Four Way Street album, but it's not. The only version I've heard is off Decade(what a GREAT album).

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

HEY ROB YOU MENTIONED SLIDE PLAYERS HAVE YOU EVER HEARD A FELLOW FROM ONE OF THE MOST REMOTE PLACES IN THE WORLD PERTH AUST. HIS NAME IS (DAVE HOLE). CERTAINLY NOT A HOUSEHOLD NAME BUT THE MAN CAN PLAY THE SHI. OUT OF THE SLIDE BLUES. HE PLAYS SLIDE OVER THE TOP OF THE NECK ROB WHICH IS DIFFERANT FOR SURE, HE,S ON ALLIGATOR RECORDS IF YOU CAN GET A SAMPLE TO LISTEN TO CHECK HIM OUT HE,S VERY GOOD HE,S AN EXAMPLE OF THE KIND OF PEOPLE DON SPOKE OF FOR SURE I COULD LIST #15-20 GUITAR PICKERS AND BANDS THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE NEVER HEARD OF OUTSIDE THERE AREAS, WHICH IS WHAT MAKES THE BLUES SO EXCITING PEACE PAUL

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Warren Haynes is a great guitar player.. and the hardest working man in the music business. He is also a great slide guitarest.. Dave Hole is no slouch.... Also Neil Young has quite a few great solo's..Cowgirl in the Sand.. Down By The River..Everybody Knows this is Nowhere...Words, The list goes on.
One of my favs. A guy by the name of Alvin Lee- The Bluest Blues...
there's more.. good topic..

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Oh man, I forgot all about "Words"( between the lines of age)!! Yeah Kevin, GREAT song!

Yes Paul, I heard Dave Hole years ago after reading an article about him in a guitar magazine. They said he was huge in Australia, but virtually unkown here in the States. Two other great slide guitarist's are Sonny Landreth and Roy Rogers(NOT the cowboy). As I've said before, Duane Allman is my favorite, just so...bluesy, followed closely by Johnny Winter for his raw Texas meets Muddy Water's style. I always thought Rory Gallagher was the Johnny Winter from "across the pond" .

Email