Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

You were there when Greg Allman got busted???? I thought that's what we were talking about. What did I make light of Sorry that happened to you and your friends, but I GUARENTEE you were'nt the only ones. You said "the news paper it said police responded to a hippi party and everyone was trippin on acid, So who ever read this felt we did it to ourselves!!"

Well, the newspapers also said Greg turned states evidence against his friend. So wich newspaper articles am I to believe. The one that lied about ya'll, or the one that "told the truth" about Allman. I don't know, seeing as I'm only 36 years old and can't figure stuff out for myself

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Well,of course you're entitled to your opinion as to who sucks or not, but there are THOUSANDS of hippies who'd disagree with you. And don't fool yourself for a second that the same shlt aint happening today. Only it's not hippie's being harrassed, framed, and murdered, it's blacks. I'm not black, and I don't like hip-hop or rap, but the SAME thing is happening. And to make a statement that just because I was born in '69 I don't know what went down is REDICOULOUS. You say "don't believe everything you read". Well, I don't. Because I just read YOU saying Greg Allman sucks, and I DON'T believe that. But eh, to each his own I reckon.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

I have to admit Rob that its really hard to understand the 60s if you weren't there. For all the peace and love and good vibes, there was the opposite - the police, the government and a whole lot of ********** good old boys didn't exactly love the freaks and hairies. Ronnie's story is horrible - and I can cite dozens and dozens of less awful but still shocking examples. I'm not sure why I never heard the Greg Allman story, but I can tell you Rob is right - narcs were everywhere and we were all scared to death of them and if you knew someone was one, you sure as heck didn't forgive him. If they DID forgive him just to make some money I don't have much respect for them, that's for sure. In the mid-sixties, the band Lovin Spoonful broke up because one of them was a snitch and so the others voted him out. We'd cross the street to get to the other side away from him if we even saw him walking down the block. John Sebastian ended up forgiving him when they were inducted in the R&R Hall of Fame. I guess enough years went by, but it wasn't cool. Maybe it's different today and maybe enough time has gone by to try to understand the people that narced on their friends, but I still think they're the lowest of the low. I know I'd like to know more about what happened.
Ronnie, I can't even tell you how sorry I am for your brother and cousin and drummer even now - no wonder you can play the blues with such feeling.

And you are right that blacks have a problem today. I'm probably one of the few white people who wasn't immediately convinced OJ did it because I KNOW L.A. cops are capable of just about anything. But it doesn't change how ugly the 60s could be. I really have to buy this book now.

Oh, hey and you boys don't fight now, okay??

Yeah, we're all passionate about the music we love, as if we actually even know the peopel(and I'm the world's worst for this), but I meant NO DISRESPECT AT ALL Ronnie. I was being a smart aleck talking about Greg Allman, not about what happened to you brother. And whoever did that to ya'll, it'll come back on them someday. Karma is a powerfull thing. Peace to you Ronnie.

"Does this mean you're NOT going to laon me money to go see Alvin "

Email  
Re: Best guitar solos?

I dont' want to dwell on this but I've been looking around the web and there isn't much. I did find this under an Allmans bio "'75 was not a good one for the surviving Allman. Busted and under threat of serious jail time Allman testified against the band's former road manager regarding drug trafficking. John Herring got seventy-five years. For turning on a friend, the other Allman band members disowned Gregg. He compounded his troubles by marrying Cher. That "happy" union lasted only slightly longer than it takes to drive cross-country with Sammy Hagar. Through it all the "Win, Lose or Draw" album went gold. But aside from the live "The Road Goes On Forever" the band was done. Each member busied himself with various projects. But as the '90s dawned, a cleaned-up Allman Brothers Band began touring and even took a shot at recording. Kinda like old times."

Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Thank you Toni!! it has been so long ago I believe that Greg was the one Busted and it turned states witness to save his but and ratted out everyone else!And time heals wounds but they got back together just for the money

Email   Nuff Said  

And the "Allman and Woman" album that Greg and Cher put out sucked, in my opinion. I'm gonna have to take a trip to the library tonight and see if I can't find that book again. That's where I got it before.

Email  

I saw the Allman Bros band last summer and I thought they rocked. They now have Warren Haynes and Butch Trucks doing the guitar work. Its obviously not the original Allmans but if you want to see a show that has kickin guitar playing and extended jamms I suggest going to see them. Its one of those shows where you think it can t get any more intense then they take it to the next level.

PS. I wish I could be writing this about the Alvin Lee Band on there 2006 North American tour…………

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Maybe in the beginning, but they surely don't need the money NOW. They've been one of the most succesful touring bands ever. I give prop's to their guitarist Warren Haynes. At Riverbend here in Cincinnati a few years ago, he played with opening band Government Mule, follow up band The Dead, and headliners The Allmans, playing lead guitar for all three bands at the same show. If you've ever seen just one of those bands live, you'll know that's a Herculean feat by itself.

Email  

You mean "Warren Haynes and DEREK Trucks" don't you CJ? Butch Trucks is their drummer, Derek is his nephew, and phenominal. Alot of times, I think his slide playing sounds like a steel guitar. Duane is my alltime favorite slide guitarist, but Derek plays stuff I've never heard ANYONE do. His wife, blues singer Susan Tedeschi is also a killer guitarist in her own right.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Yes you are correct.Its Derrek Trucks not Butch. My mistake. A kickin show none the less.

Email  

I always thought "Cinnamon Girl" had a uniquie solo. Neil Young just keeps hitting that one "D" note over the "D, Am, C, G" chord changes. "One Note Neil".

Email  

Good move Rob - change the subject back to the beginning. Hey, Ronnie, I know this was just a pretty emotional topic - you okay?

Hey Toni, I know you're a big Neil Young fan. Do you have a favorite Neil solo? Mine would be a 4-way toss up between "Powderfinger", "Down By The River", "Cowgirl In The Sand", and "Cortez The Killer"

Email  

When Neil played in a small club in Cotati CA with the Bluenotes he played some heart wrenching kinda atonal leads. Lonely yet beautiful.

Email  

I never did see any of the Bluenotes shows. I am very impressed. And Rob, I'm not very good at picking bests of anything because I change my mind all the time! But Down by the River is awesome.

I never change my mind Toni..........yes I do........no, I don't.........trust me, I do!!!

Yeah, Brian, that kind of sums up Neils style for me, "atonal yet beautiful".

Hey Toni, I once saw a clip of "Down By The River" being played by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young on some documentary about the 60's. They only played a few seconds of it, but what I heard sounded great. For the longest time, I thought maybe it was on the CSNY Four Way Street album, but it's not. The only version I've heard is off Decade(what a GREAT album).

Email  

CAN YOU IMAGINE TONI GREGG RAN DICKEY OUT OF THE BAND BECAUSE HE WAS TOO HIGH ALL THE TIME IF SKY DOG WAS HERE HE WOULD OF SLAPPED THE SHI. OUT OF HIM FOR THAT. PEACE PAUL

Email  

HEY ROB YOU MENTIONED SLIDE PLAYERS HAVE YOU EVER HEARD A FELLOW FROM ONE OF THE MOST REMOTE PLACES IN THE WORLD PERTH AUST. HIS NAME IS (DAVE HOLE). CERTAINLY NOT A HOUSEHOLD NAME BUT THE MAN CAN PLAY THE SHI. OUT OF THE SLIDE BLUES. HE PLAYS SLIDE OVER THE TOP OF THE NECK ROB WHICH IS DIFFERANT FOR SURE, HE,S ON ALLIGATOR RECORDS IF YOU CAN GET A SAMPLE TO LISTEN TO CHECK HIM OUT HE,S VERY GOOD HE,S AN EXAMPLE OF THE KIND OF PEOPLE DON SPOKE OF FOR SURE I COULD LIST #15-20 GUITAR PICKERS AND BANDS THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE NEVER HEARD OF OUTSIDE THERE AREAS, WHICH IS WHAT MAKES THE BLUES SO EXCITING PEACE PAUL

Email  

Warren Haynes is a great guitar player.. and the hardest working man in the music business. He is also a great slide guitarest.. Dave Hole is no slouch.... Also Neil Young has quite a few great solo's..Cowgirl in the Sand.. Down By The River..Everybody Knows this is Nowhere...Words, The list goes on.
One of my favs. A guy by the name of Alvin Lee- The Bluest Blues...
there's more.. good topic..

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best guitar solos?

Oh man, I forgot all about "Words"( between the lines of age)!! Yeah Kevin, GREAT song!

Yes Paul, I heard Dave Hole years ago after reading an article about him in a guitar magazine. They said he was huge in Australia, but virtually unkown here in the States. Two other great slide guitarist's are Sonny Landreth and Roy Rogers(NOT the cowboy). As I've said before, Duane Allman is my favorite, just so...bluesy, followed closely by Johnny Winter for his raw Texas meets Muddy Water's style. I always thought Rory Gallagher was the Johnny Winter from "across the pond" .

Email