Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
A Statement of Purpose

Maybe this is as good a time as any to make clear my intentions.

This is a site devoted to Alvin Lee. It is not devoted to the band currently calling themselves Ten Years After. I do not have to like the band I refer to as the Alvin Lee Tribute Band, the individuals in it, or the people who do like them.

I don't care about and don't have any interest in the Alvin Lee Tribute Band. I have listened and heard enough, thank you - I'm not interested. Nothing anybody from some other persuasion has to say is going to change my mind. I know whose music I like - that's who I listen to.

I also have no problem with ricochicoleoandjoegeewhiz playing together.

I have a big problem with them using the name Ten Years After. Alvin has a problem with them using the name Ten Years After. I have a problem with the "misunderstandings" and "misinformation" that has happened as a result of their decision not to honor Alvin's wishes. And I do NOT have to "get over it" just beause some people would like for me to do so. Nor does anybody have the right to make the decision whether I should "get over it" or not. It is my decision to make based on my sense of ethics. If you don't like it - too bad.

I have a problem with people who attack Alvin, and I have a big problem with people who can't tell the truth or get their facts straight. I respond to that with satire and I refute what I see to be misinformation and nonsense. If you don't like it, get your facts straight or support your Guitar God Joe and leave Alvin alone.

99% of what I write quotes directly what others say. Quit saying silly things and you'll quit getting responses making fun of your silly statements - simple as that. In fact, Wagstaff goes through long periods of saying nothing because sometimes the silliness stops - but always, eventually, it comes back.

I realize there are some who enjoy the Alvin Lee Tribute Band. Whatever - that's your trip. But it sure isn't mine, nor is it going to be. But if you start taking on Alvin, you'll hear from me.

The sad thing is, some people can not praise the band they so stuanchly support and admire without running Alvin down. If there is anything that should be "gotten over" it seems to me you should get over Alvin and support your guys. Hell, they're using the name, they're playing gigs, they're recording, you like them - what do you have to be upset about? What I or others who agree with me THINK? Why give a sh*t?

The vast majority of the topics supporters of the Alvin Lee Tribute Band bring up in their posts aren't even mentioned here until they bring them up. When you open a topic, you invite discussion. Don't get upset when you get it.

Email  
Re: A Statement of Purpose

And yer Point is??

Nuff Said  

Pay no attention to 601 Blues ( ) Don. I think you stated your feelings very well - actually, you stated mine too.

Hey Don, what are your feelings about TYAN?

Just kidding

Email  
Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Man I was just jerkin yer Chain!!

Nuff Said  
Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Don......

I concur in spades.

The only issue I initially had was the name.

Then, the unbelievable nastiness, lies, and deception began, and continued.
That put me, and many off....and lost any possible interest in the current lineup.

Too bad...they were a fine band, and musically, still probably are.....their business decisions soured the pot for many.

Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Oh I know you were just jerking his chain, 601 Blues. But see, women never forget anything, and you called me OLD - so I've been waiting for a way to razz you!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

BUT BUT BUT you said you had forgiven me!! member!!

Nuff Said  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Sure I forgave you. I just didn't forget. Women never ever forget. Ask Trudy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Don't need to I already know duh anser,

Nuff Said  

By the way, in answer to the expert on "life on the road" - Dave - I, and many others on this site, have seen a lot more of "road life" than you get in being allowed to hang out backstage. Do it for a living, silly boy, then you'll know what you're talking about instead of sounding like a "wannabe" that carries towels and waterbottles.

Email  

Yes Don i agree with you. With most of your statements.
I took time to listen at there soundclips from the roadworks albun ( the one they milk a lot of Alvin Lee written songs). A little review.
Love Like A Man ,there version is like hearing a lawn mower.Love to Change The World.:False awfull wrong key.
I Cant Keep from Crying : I you can`t copy Alvin Lee there ,at least try to do it you own way. The same counts for Going home No soul and feeling.like a poor computer copy in a hurry ,of Alvin.( shotgun version). Like somone puts a gun to his head and tells him to play I am Going Home.
Conclusion from what i have heard. Terrible ,for such a group of proffessional musicians.But i guess if you are drunk enough everthing sounds great.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Don't be shy Pieter,tell us whatcha really think about TYAN,

Nuff Said  

Really cannot argue with the bulk of the comments above.

Initially some of us gave the band a fair hearing musically, and got a bit carried away by 'live' appearances. Whether it was the euphoria of seeing some of our heroes playing together again, hearing classic tracks in a 'live' environment after so long, I really don't know.

I don't want the band to fail. That would be counter-productive to the TYA's history. We cannot deny they have sweated blood and taken risks, and probably suffered financial losses in an effort to 'make a go of it.' In that respect, perhaps they do not deserve to fail. However, the blame for some of us turning sour, lies fairly and squarely at Dave Willey's door, and some of his cohorts who now give Alvin 'the finger' and conveniently forget who gave a 'voice' to the name 'Ten Years After'. They really need to have a hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Some might say I'm small-minded and petty for allowing the rants of a half-wit to govern what I listen to. Tough sh*t! When I've heard them play, it's him I thought of, and if he'd been running my band's tribute website, or hovering round backstage, I'd promptly tell him to f*ck off, with my shoe sticking out his arse!

Yes i feel a little shy telling what i really think of the TNYA. The Lawn Mower Massacer. Propper name for the band would be . The Day After.
Nuff Nuff Said obi 1 ?

Leave it to a Scotsman to say with far more eloquence what I was trying to say when I was spouting all of my drivel.

Alan, someday we must have a pint or four together, or perhaps even a bit of fine Scott's whiskey (or as some of my friends call it - Highlands Joy Juice) - all the while toasting Alvin, our beautiful wives (by the way, Lola is one of those wild Armstrongs and fiercely proud of it!), our gracious webmistress, ourselves, everyone on the board, Big Red, Evi, and anything else we can think up!

Email  

you people amaze me. have any of you spoken to Alvin or Leo personally and asked them the real story? Now I know why I only visit this site every 12 months. you all have got it terribly wrong. but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. its a free world. stop bickering and enjoy the music.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

We enjoy Alvin Lee `s music and not the the TYAN ,they sound terrible!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

thats ok. I said we are all entitled to our own opinions. music is a personal thing. but I don't feel the need to bag them on this site. peace man !!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Well, now that you ask - yes, I've spoken to Alvin personally. I've also spoken to people, like managers and roadies and friends, who also know what took place first-hand. And trust me, I don't have it wrong at all. Read one or two of Alvin's interviews where he discusses the situation if you don't want to believe me. So now, exactly what is your point?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

my point is simple. your site is alvin-biased, and that's ok really. but you shouldn't make comment on what the new TYA are doing and how they have done it. you're only getting one side of the story. lets enjoy Alvin's music and move on. thanks for a great site.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Alvin biased? My god, man, its alvinlee.com and he considers it his official site. What do you expect it to be?

We'd be happy to never mention TYAN here - do you think you can get the people who support them to do so without making unfair and nasty comparisons to Alvin???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

maybe they only do that because you bait them?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

Maybe we bait them because they bait us?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

thats honest Toni. well lets ignore them then huh. its enough. thanks for your great site. keep it up. don't stoop to their level anymore. I've followed your site for years. thanks.

OH COME ON DON YOU,RE MAKING MUCH TO MUCH SENSE YOU NEED TO (RISE ABOVE) (RISE ABOVE) PEACE PAUL

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Statement of Purpose

So you've followed the site for years. Do you onlypost when you have something negative to say about the members of the board (i.e...we're all arseholes). Yes, I am KING of the arseholes, but when a bunch (all 8 or 10 of us) of Alvin fans get annoyed at the whole advertising b.s. of "straight from Woodstock, with 3 original members (no mention WICH three......hmmm...could one of them be Alvin?)", and we decide to vent it by changing a few words in song titles, I find it pretty clever. My hat's off to you Lenny V for "inspiring" that whole little "song title" thread.

Email