Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dissapointed fan

Everybody....pay attention Heri has spoken, straighten your neckties and tuck your shirts in.

Fans will be fans the world over, whether it's Alvin Lee, REM, or the Faroe Islands Net-Mending Ensemble, so if you were going to categorise you fall WAY short in categories.......WAY short, that list must have taken you all of two minutes. Your simplistic view of human frailties/virtues tells me you need to get out more, go meet people, say hello, instead of one sided conversations with sheep.

Herb demands the utmost respect for what he's done over the years, but that does not mean that fans have to agree with him all the time, but nor does it mean we have the right to question his 'loyalty'. I'm sure Herb is every bit as much an Alvin Lee fan as the next guy, but expression of his enthusiastic support of TYAN hasn't gone down well in many quarters. Me, I couldn't care less who supported who, as long as they're not shoving it in each other's faces and peppering their opinions with abuse and personal attacks. If it wasn't so sad, it would almost be funny that vile comments could emanate from a 'fan' discussing musical favourites. Bad taste only tells half the story, and why people continue to consort, and COMPLETELY GLOSS OVER or IGNORE past events, which displayed a disturbing character flaw, in order to have their voices heard on the site, quite frankly leaves me speechless.

Finally, why the hell should Alvin participate in a fan forum? I never expect him to, nor should anyone else. He posts when the need arises...end of story.

PS How many gentlemen from Nottingham do you ACTUALLY know?

Re: Re: Dissapointed fan

I was of course referring to D*ve, and his site.

Hmmm. Got that one from Dave, eh? Okay, here's my answer - you obviously do not know Alvin, just as Dave does not know Alvin, so your comment that Alvin Lee doesn't "give a d*mn" has absolutely no merit whatsoever. Giving a d*mn, in most people's opinion, does not equate to being required to post messages or enter into public arguments on the Web. Regardless, on occasion, Alvin has posted comments on his news page, on his birthday page and on this board. I also believe there are many people here who have received personal contacts and even invitations from him. And, if you are discussing the TYAN situation, Alvin has given his opinion in many interviews, some of which are linked from this site.

Alvin is a private person and any fan that does not respect and understand that is, in my personal opinion, a bit full of himself. What Alvin owes us is nothing. What he has given us - again and again for nearly 40 years - is himself, via his music. If you need more than that, I am sorry for you, because I can imagine no way he could expose himself more than he does through his playing.

Regarding Herb, I don't believe he has flown to Europe to see any of Alvin Lee's concerts (as he has for TYAN shows) - not even the RAH show in London (as he did for Cream) , so no, Alvin could not have "turned" to him to thank him - but yes, he has offered his gratitude and congratulations. I thought, though, that what Herb did was a labor of love, not a vehicle to earn Alvin's affection.

Your answer has been provided by someone who I assume you classify as an "stupid, uncritical licker" (apparently to Dave et al, anyone who defends Alvin and does not fawn over TYAN falls into this category)....that's fine if you want to believe that - but honestly, I wouldn't jump off the Eiffel Tower for anyone, not even a normal gentleman from Nottingham

Email  

I like to add that Alvin is a gentleman ! Back in 1998 he was playing in Switzerland and after the soundcheck he was walking in the public space were everybody was looking at the little shops ! Well I could not stop myself from going to him shake his hand and thanks him for being such a fantastic musician and major influence ! Well Alvin took the time to talk nicely to me and answer back, thanks me back and..... I forgot to ask for a picture of us together !!!! Oh well !!

Great personality !!!

Thanks Alvin !!!

Since I believe you have never met the man, I believe you are only stating heresay as to whether Alvin gives a ****.....

And if you are believeing whatever drivel Dave is emailing you....well then, that explains a lot.

If all parties involved behaved like Mr. Lee has....this discussion would not even be taking place.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Having followed and swallowed everything about Alvin Lee since long before Woodstock, as well as having surfed since the dawn of websites, I have come to the conclusion that his fans can be filed in 5 groups. I know I will offend a few, please foregive me.

1. The quiet mass of rock/blues lovers all
around the world
2. The guitarists who try to copy him
3. People like Herb (not many)
4. Stupid, uncritical lickers or pretenders
(people who would jump from the Eiffel tower
if Alvin Lee ordered them - not many, only
about 8-10 people)
5. Dissapointed-hard-core-fans (for one reason
or the other, e.g. Dave)

Compared to other stars, Alvin Lee is not participating or arguing at all, what so ever. You can find websites where bigger stars than Alvin Lee give their opinion, especially when things in question really means a lot to their fans.

Personally I am dissapointed, not as much as Dave, but still…The man you admire so much doesn’t obviously give a ****. Why can’t he be a normal gentleman from Nottingham ?

Beeing more than afraid of the answer, I hate to ask this question: Does anybody know if Alvin Lee ever turned to Herb and thanked him ? Please don’t make me more dissapointed!

I was only stating a few facts. And to you 8-10 people; You must forgive me for doing so, I am sorry.

Re: Re: Re: Dissapointed fan

And what "facts" were those, Heri? I didn't read any.

Email  

Nuff Said  

Nuff Said  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dissapointed fan

I wonder, 601, how much time to you actually spend looking for just the right smiley ??

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dissapointed fan

Heck Toni! with all da stuff they sayin,almost all of em fit,except da ones with da hearts!!dose fer you!!

Nuff Said  

Just how much personal attention does one have to give a disappointed fan to be rated a normal gentleman from Nottingham?

I've met Alvin - it wasn't a big deal, Tom Compton introduced us, he was charming said hi, thanks for coming out, and excused himself to go to his hotel room for much needed sleep. Seemed like a normal gentleman to me, and I know he's from Nottingham, so I think he fits the description.

He did NOT kiss my @ss, decide to make me his best friend or give me his address so I could drop by for coffee (Dave's big complaint) - nor did I expect him to.

By the way, I have been keeping count - Alvin has posted on this board roughly as many times as ricochicoandleo have indvidually, so what is the problem?

Oh yeah, now I remember - when he became a great guitar player he gave up any right to a private life - my mistake!

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dissapointed fan

"If you need more than that, I am sorry for you, because I can imagine no way he could expose himself more than he does through his playing".......Beautifully said Toni!!!

Email  

Heri - What a mean spirited post! What possible motive could you have? I bet just getting the attention was worth your price of admission. Not worth bending you over & spanking your "hinny". By the way you can be disappointed with an artist. A fan your not!

Email  

Here we go again. Someone who expresses criticism gets abuse from a member of the clique here. No wonder there are so few regular posters.

And... before you start, Victor... I'm 100% with Toni's view on Heri's original post. Just that I can believe there are other people in this wide world entitled to give their opinion whether I agree with them or not.

Oh, puhleeeez! Somebody comes on Alvin's board and disses Alvin, disses his fans and somebody is shocked and outraged when they catch a little flack? Give me a break . . .

Oooops, I'm sorry. I forgot that I don't have a right to express my opinion if it disagrees with somebody else. From now on I'll clear my posts through the self-appointed select committee on acceptible opinions review board before I post.

By the way, talk about few posters - have you seen the even fewer regulars elsewhere?

Email  

I think you need to take a little less of what Wagstaff's giving you, Don. The guy was making his point, that's all.

Nuff Said  

akc: criticism? What was posted was not criticism. It was a mean spirited post. Disagreeing on issues, prefrences, etc., I can accept those. You can criticize my point of view - just don't come across like a pompous twit. Being judgmental & placing people in categories is way too pompous. I've been coming to this web site to enjoy the spirit of fellow rock'n roll addicts. Not all subjects are worthy of response so I don't. Not all responses correspond to my personal point of view weather it be music, politics, etc., etc. Rob likes to hear Alvin play the standards - I don't. Rob doesn't mind hearing "I'm Going Home" a dozen times - I do. Some of us loved, "In Tennessee" some of us didn't. Some of us like TYAN. Some of us think of them as a tribute band. I think we can all express our points of view - and, yes, sometimes what people write should be thought through before posting - however, all postings should be in the spirit of well intended rock'n roll brotherhood. Read Heri's post again. The intention has more malice than a light hearted point of view.

Peace & Love

Victor

Email  

No Victor, I like to hear Alvin play EVERYTHING. I don't dismiss his early work or "put it to rest" just like "In Tennesse" is in my cd changer now. Re-read my posts buddy and you'll see that i said I like it all, "It's all relevant" is what I said.

Email  

Don't mean to butt in, but I can see nothing abusive about Victor's post - actually, akc, you've decided to take on one of the nicest people who posts here - I don't think I've ever heard Victor be offensive in any way. He was obviously offended by Heri's post, as frankly I was, and he reacted to it quite mildly, I thought.

When people express criticism, constructively as you sometimes have done, or rudely as Heri did, its natural for others to respond and defend themselves. In some places, that's called conversation.

Email  

Butt in all you like, Toni. It's your site. Fraid I still can't see any conversation in Victor's post, though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Disappointed fan

Basically, Heri's post was just 'a brick through the window' and almost as constructive.

It happens occasionally...anyone remember Fred?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disappointed fan

Fred? Is he that stocky built fellow who powers his car with his feet, has a best friend named Barney and a pet named Dino???

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disappointed fan

I thought it was that imaginary guy in the the movie: Drop Dead Fred!

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disappointed fan

Hey, I forgot all about that movie. Phoebe Cates...Hubba hubba

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disappointed fan

Not to mention Fred - I tend to act like him after a few cocktails!

Email  

HERI, I,AM NOT SURE WHAT YOU EXPECT FROM ALVIN, WOULD YOU LIKE HIM TO SWING BY YOU,RE HOUSE AND MAYBE SHOVEL OFF THE SIDEWALK OR PERHAPS STOP BY IN THE SPRING AND MOW YOU,RE YOU,RE GRASS, TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE, CLEAN OUT THE BASEMENT(WHAT) WHEN SOMETHING IMPORTANT NEEDS A COMMENT BY ALVIN HE COMES FORWARD AND COMMENTS ABOUT IT, IF SOMEONE HAS A QUESTION FOR ALVIN TONI (ALWAYS)PASSES IT ON TO HIM AND ALVIN (ALWAYS)RESPONDS ALVIN HAS BEEN MAKING MUSIC FOR ALL OF US HERI SINCE 1967, YOU DO THE MATH PAL AND TELL ME IF THATS ENOUGH FOR YA THERE SEEMS TO BE A WAVE OF THESE KIND OF COMMENTS LATELY SURELY YOU GUYS THAT ARE MAKING THEM KNOW THERE IS A SITE WERE YOU WILL HAVE A CAPTIVE AUDIENCE FOR THIS DRIBBLE AND I THINK IT WILL BE MUCH BETTER RECEIVED THERE PEACE PAUL

Email