Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Index > General Discussion > Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board > A lesson in how to do it right
Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
A lesson in how to do it right

Just read an interview with Paul Rodgers in my local paper. Asked the reason behind the billing "Queen + Paul Rodgers", he said "The logic behind it is to let the people know exactly what they're getting".

Then he goes on to pay homage to Freddie Mercury, calling him "irreplaceable" and saying "I don't try to be him. I have a great deal of respect for him as a front man. He was such a great songwriter and had such personality. The question isn't whether I can replace Freddie, but do I want to sing some great songs with some great musicians". Now, that's classy (pay attention Joe, in your only interview, you not only don't pay any respects to Alvin and his music, you almost seem to go out of your way to not )

Email  
Re: A lesson in how to do it right

Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

Precisely!

Email  

So I've been listening to Joe Gooch.. and... well I don't want to be too judgemental because he's a **** good player. Not wishing to sound tooooooo pseudo ... but here goes anyway. There's a saying in Zen, "when a finger points at the moon - look at the moon, not the finger".

Joe's influences aren't Alvin's influences. They aren't even the rest of the band's influences. Those guys grew up in the fifties and took what they heard forward. Much as he might have been a fan of Hendrix or whoever, he wasn't looking at the 'moon' that the music comes from. This leaves Joe sounding not quite authentic for what he's doing. Not his fault, just the way things are.

I have to disagree with comments here that Leo, Ric and Chick are 'just a rhythm section' (I don't think there's any such thing, anyway). They're much more than that. The tracks I've heard drive along recognisably in the old familiar way and I can easily imagine audiences being knocked out by them.

None of this satisfies those who are hung up on the controversy over tha name, I know. But setting that aside, TYAN, for me, are good value.

Very well said, akc. We're back to the the bottom line - if you enjoy them, they're worth the show, regardless of their name.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

akc U de maan!

Email  

Oh, but in case I wasn't clear - I'm with Rob and Milos - from what I've heard, they aren't worth the price of the admission.

But see, this is a discussion of music NOT the name - happy, Henrik????

Email  

Following in the grand tradition of having a discussion with myself, I also want ot be fair enough to say I haven't listened to much. What I heard was more than enough for me!

Email  

And I agree with Toni, TYAN very well may be a good band, but without Alvin, I'm just not interested. When Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker did stuff with Gary Moore or Blues Seracino, they did'nt call themsleves "Cream", even though 2/3 of the band was there, and they did Cream tunes. They were respectful enough of their own heritage to know, to let the audience know, that they were'nt Cream, even though Bruce and Baker are incredable musicians.

As for Paul Rodgers with Queen, from what I've heard they are great. And, again as Toni said, classy. I like the fact that they do Queen tunes AND Free/Bad Company tunes as well. And though, like him or not, you cannot replace Feddie Mercury, Paul Rodgers in my opinion has always had one of the greatest voices in rock and roll.

Email  

In the south ifin a finger come close to yer moon you better make sure its a finger!!

And you better hear the snapping of a rubber glove!

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

Rob infin a finger was pointin at yer moon what would you be lookin at?? I belive Id be keepin an eye on da finger!!

Good advice!!Der is somefolk you just ain't safe turnin your back on!!Know what I mean??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

I had a GUT feelin I should have been watchin dat finger!!!

In regard to questions about moons and fingers, I think we should also pay attention to which finger is pointing.

Email  

I'm very happy Toni, nice to see people discuss music in a manner where noone insults the other point of view! Much of the "Dumb-assa-briqutte" stuff and the Trick-Yo-A** N'othertime strikes me as too childish! But that's just a grumpy ol' granddad talkin' I guess!

Email  

Whatever you say, Henrik.

Email  

In saying that I'm not going to dignify that with an answer, do I do just that?? Anyway, it wasn't directed at you Don, it's that guy Wagstaff I'm not too thrilled about!

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

Oh come on Henrik, you've got to admit "Trick-Yo-A** N'othertime" is hillarious. Even IF you ARE a fan of TYAN's music. Read any number of 601's posts, and you'll see he's all about making people laugh. I have a feeling Wagstaff would NOT pee on Ronnie's leg

Email  

Just to make clear: when I used the words "rhytm section", I didn't mean to put them down, it was in the most positive way. I used to like Leo's pulsating bass, his improvisations with Alvin... And Ric Lee is surely one of the most interesting drummers, at least in blues-rock (always making changes, never plays the same line twice, etc). They sure are a true artists, I just don't dig what they're doing "Now".
After listening to Alvin's licks, riffs, pyrotechics, squeaks, and in this case exspecially singing, this is like listening to someone practicing guitar with the TYA cd playing in the background, and mumble something for himself just to make sure when the verse is over and next solo starts...
And one more thing. TYAN played at the Belgrade Blues Festival three years ago. They had posters, TV and radio comercials, all that, but still the only place where I could find out Alvin Lee is deffinitely not in the line-up anymore was this site. Please, try to imagine what would it be like for me: I never saw Alvin live, and when I heard the name TYA I immediately thought "Finally! Yeah! I'll see my favourite guitarist! Life is good!" How would I feel, travelling to another side of the country to see there's someone else instead of Alvin, doing his songs with his former band mates?

Email  

ANOTHER GREAT SAYING THAT COMES TO MIND WHEN I THINK OF JOE IS(MAN WHO GO TO BED WITH ITCHY BUM WAKE UP WITH STINKY FINGER) AAHSO THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF JOE HAD ANY RESPECT FOR THE MUSIC HE SHOULD TRY TO BE HIMSELF AND NOT ALVIN. AAHSO PEACE PAUL

Email  

IT,S COOL HENRIK, WE JUST LIKE TO BREAK PEOPLES BALL. ABIT, WERE UNDER A BIT OF STRAIN HERE SINCE THE NEW DICTATOR TOOK OVER AND IT HELPS US TO PASS THE TIME I MUST SAY IT,S NICE TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE GET YELLED AT INSTEAD OF ME SHAME ON YOU WAGMEISTER (DROP AND GIVE ME TEN) NO CHEATING PEACE PAUL

Email  

That "whatever you say Henrik" just p****d me off a bit, it's such a girlie thing to say, and had me worried about Don! And Paul: I'm happy to help you get some rest, and honestly it's not so bad, gets the blood rolling! And yes, 601's joke was funny, had I not just enjoyed a concert where no part of me was tricked, I'd have might even have laughed!

Email  

Maybe my approach to humor and satire is different than yours Henrik, and maybe I just think some people deserve to be poked fun at a little bit - but I think Wagstaff is clever, and I think the T-ricked Y-o A-s-s thing was hilarious.

Of course, I look at things differently than you do - I put up with D's vitriolic attacks, both on his board and via emails, for years and years (even before TYAN formed); some of his crap was so mean and hurtful that it made me (and others) downright angry and created all sorts of nasty arguments on the board. Waggie's approach added irony and humor to the situation and defused some of the anger, so I actually look at his posts as a positive thing. Better to use satire than have these all-out wars we used to have.

As for T-ricked Y-o A-s-s, well, all I can say is that you may not have been tricked, but I'd be happy to share some emails with you from very angry people who do think they were tricked. Also, as Alan once pointed out, we always feel we need a disclaimer of sorts to differentiate between classic TYA and the current band, and this was simply a funny one. Very funny, honestly.

We use this board for conversation, and not all conversation is titillating or even particularly interesting, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to change it. Sometimes being silly is important, sometimes being angry is necessary and sometimes, we even talk about music. Take what you enjoy and ignore the rest!

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

Oh, as for the grumpy grandpa thing, thought I'd share this:

That's Ryan, also know in the family as "Heavy Metal Baby". Come on, gramps, made you smile, didn't he?????

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

wow that kid rocks!! might just take your advice on that what you said about ignoring the rest.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

That is one cool wee guy Toni, bet the T-shirt and the mouth were smeared with chocolate within minutes!

Henrik, I've always considered you a valuable member of our gang, and will always continue to do so. I have to pick up on something Toni said, and add that, by association, Dave Willey did the band immense harm in my book with his purile behaviour towards Toni and Alvin. The English language really doesn't have any words which are descriptive enough to 'pigeon-hole' him as a particular type of moron. He is obviously very hard working and dedicated, so why-oh-why does he have to spoil all that, by making people sick to their stomachs? It's wholly unecessary and frankly, inexcusable.

HE associates himself with the band, and the BAND appear comfortable to associate with him, perhaps they see him as a necessarily evil, but the sum and substance his that the stink will hang in the air for a very long time.

If Toni ever has the mind to forgive (which I very much doubt), she sure as hell will never forget.

Later,

Alan.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

Thanks Alan. You know, I always go back to the same thing - when TYAN formed, I wrote the news to our mailing list. I can still quote what I said "We wish the band well, but wish they'd use a different name". From that, 3 years of anger and nastiness have ensued, thanks to and fueled by one person. We had some fairly nasty slingfests early on, and I will admit that there were people on this board who were as offensive at times as DW was (and I also admit that in my own frustration and anger at what was being said about Alvin, I was sometimes less than kind to LL&C) - I guess that's why Waggie is okay with me. His approach at least tempered the vicious fighting.

I do understand, though, as I'm sure Wagstaff also does, that if you haven't been around for all of the viciousness, it may seem mean spirited at times, especially to those, like you, that have made some sort of peace with Dave. (I'd warn you to watch your back, but I know you're smarter than that.) I tried that once - it was a dismal failure - and have no interest in ever trying again. But I have always thought the world of you, Henrik, and I neither want you to feel uncomfortable here nor do I want to lose you. So please, hang around and please ignore what isn't palatable to you. Life goes on, and who knows, it may even change someday.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

Sure there is peace between me and Dave, we don't communicate...I reckon it must be over two years now, and that's the way it will stay, believe me!

I turn away from people of his ilk in everyday life, and follow the same philosophy on the internet...they're a waste of space.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

Oops - I meant Henrik, not you, in terms of making peace with DW, Alan. But come to think of it, I've made peace too - based on someone we know and love's suggestion, I simply don't go to his board at all anymore. Saves a lot of aggravation.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

I just reread my earlier post. Duh. I guess I should have addressed the 2nd paragraph to Henrik. Good thing our resident teachers weren't listening!

Email  

THATS A HANDSOME LITTLE MAN THERE TONI, COOL BUDDY (GREAT SMILE HE HAS) PEACE PAUL

Email  

Iam a granddad as well 3 as a matter of fact! and if you can't approach life with a little humor then life is no good , I love to laugh and humor brings relife to a stressful situation,And trickin yo ass is exactly what they or any one does when they mislead people into thinkin they are or can do somphin,Products mislead the public better read the fine print!! Sorry Grand pa maybe you need to look at the humor in somphin before you stress out!!!

Please Don't, I did one night when I was drunk And didn'y like the feeling at all,

I wondered why muh finger smelt like dat in da mornin!!!How Childish!!! of me !! SORRY

Hansom your man I'll post some of mine later!!

Henrik, you seam like an intellegent Fellow, so I must say if you go to a show of any sort and you know what to expect when you get there and you got what you were expecting, No its not a Trick,however when you were expecting to get 1 thing and you get another,then either you were mistaken on what was to be there or you were tricked,or misinformed,If you had a great time and enjoyed the show Great!!

Intelligent, maybe - suffering from the "any rock star will do" syndrome - yes indeedy. How else could someone live with himself for going over to the dark side and being all gushy and friendly with that sad old potty mouth?? Hey, I got no problem with anybody who has anemic taste in guitar players, but really - sucking up to Dave? Yucko Henrik.

Oh - and T-ricked Y-o A-s-s ain't only funny, its exactly what they did. And the Wagster just tells it like it is.

Email  

Thank you Patty!!

Nuff Said  

Patty. Kiss my a@@! Any rockstar will do? Excuse me but you don't know me. Just getting a bit fed up with all the disrespectful posts, and yours haven't made it any better. Who are you to critizise me? D#%& that p"##¤s me off. If I hadn't been drunk I might even have been rude!!

Email  

Just read Pattys post again, and Jesus Christ, that really represents everything I hate about this ongoing "war" of the sites. It's music for Gods sake, not world peace or global warming!

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A lesson in how to do it right

WOW were did you get that potty mouth?? learned dat from da dark side, did ja?? jus calm down granpa,before you pop a needed somphin!! Patty was jus replying to your Uh? disrespect on other post,the what goes around thang jus may apply here,don't you think?? Iam not anphibus we can't read yo mind,So why don't you tell me who you are and what your all about, And please be careful what you say Iam senseitive!!

Nuff Said  

Geeez, Henrik - I didn't say anything at all in the post, let alone something derogatory. Give me and Waggie a break!

Email  

OK. folks. it's my turn. I tried to keep my mouth shut, but my comments have turned into a long thread of discussion.

Henrik, you and I don't agree, and that's OK. BUT - I was around a long time before you came on the scene and saw all of the abuse Dave heaped on Toni and Alvin that you don't even know about. I've also seen this guy promise to turn over a new leaf more often than a politician in an election year, only to come back with the same old lies and abuse. I have also seen the out and out lies the Alvin Lee Tribute Band told, perpetuated, and distributed all in the name of making a few bucks.

I tried - and you can ask Toni if you don't believe me - to keep an open mind, and was personally subjected to erronious and slanderous e-mails from Dave himself.

Now, if you want to keep an open mind about all of the nonsense coming out of the Alvin Lee Tribute Band camp, more power to you. But I have been there, done that, and have examined this nonsense far longer than you. I'M glad you can think of yourself as a peace maker. But it does not make you a better person than I when I tell you I have a pretty good bullsh*t detector and know d@mned good and well when somebody is peeing on my leg and telling me it's a rainstorm.

I agree to disagree wth you, Henrik. Let's leave it at that.

Email  

Guess I blew a fuse there. I blame it on Juno, a small island of the coast of Scotland. If they hadn't insisted on exporting their 10 year old single malt whisky to Denmark, my temper might have been more controlled.

Email  

**** Scotts !!! I've had the same problem with those 's in Milwaukee!!

Email  

Turns out the island was Jura, not Juno. If your ever near a single malt from there, don't hesitate, DOWN THE HATCH!!

Email