Return to Website

Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board

We invite you to use this forum to communicate with Alvin's fans around the world, but please do so with respect and goodwill.
We reserve the right to delete any messages we deem offensive.

Guestbook

Forum: Alvin Lee Message & Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
another blues trivia

GOOD IDEA JON, THIS ONES PROBABLY TOO EASY , BUT I,AM SURE A FEW WON,T HAVE THE ANSWER. HERE WE GO, I FIRST RECORDED FOR CHESS RECORDS IN 1930-31 ISH , AFTER WINNING A TALENT CONTEST WITH THE PRIZE BEING A RECORDING SESSION IN CHICAGO. MANY OF THESE RECORDINGS WOULD LATER BECOME BLUES STANDARDS , RECORDED BY ANYONE WHO WAS SOMEONE, THE STONES AND CLAPTON TO NAME A FEW AFTER THESE RECORDINGS , I LAYED THE GUITAR DOWN AND BECAME A PREACHER, AND DIDN,T PLAY THE BLUES AGAIN FOR OVER #30 YEARS, UNTIL; I WAS AGAIN DISCOVERED IN THE EARLY 60,S AGAIN BEING DISCOVERED MY THE STONES AND ERIC CLAPTON I PLAYED THE 1964 NEWPORT JAZZ FESTIVAL IN FRONT OF #18,000 PEOPLE AND WAS REDISCOVERED BY THE MASSES. SHORTLY AFTER BACAME SICK WITH CANCER , BUT DUE TO A 1930 SONG I RECORDED, THAT WAS TURNED INTO A HUGH HIT BY ERIC CLAPTON,I WAS ABLE TO PAY FOR MY CANCER TREATMENT,WITH THE ROYALTIES AND LIVED ANOTHER THREE YEARS , AT WHICH TIME I RE-RECORDED, ALL MY SONGS , AND ADDED SOME NEW ONES WHO WAS PAUL

Email  
Re: another blues trivia

Skip James

Re: Re: another blues trivia

I am sorry to say, but I am afraid that RS, also known as Sonny Boy Williamson (III) is indeed correct.

As a little trivia note. He wrote "I'm So Glad", which Cream recorded on their first Album. It is a Cream favorite of mine. GREAT simple lyrics that just stay in your head.

When Skip was "re-discovered" in 1964 and played to a mesmorized audience of 17,000 at the Newport Folk Festival, he was very ill with Cancer.
He got some help for the Cancer when Cream recorded "I'm So Glad", and Skip used the royalties to
While it was too late to cure Skip, the surgery and treatment he received allowed him to probably live another three years and record two more albums.

Skip's great song was also the opening song Cream did in their recent reunion concert.

Paul, "I'm go glad" you came up with the question about Skip, I'm Glad, I'm Glad, I'm Glad. But ...I don't know what to do, don't know what to do, don't know what to do .....

I love the stories about those greats who are such a major part of our cultural history. They need to be remembered.

Jon

Email  
Re: Re: Re: another blues trivia

RIGHT ON THE MONEY R.S. I DIDN,T WANT TO NAME THE SONG AND MAYBE GIVE IT AWAY. AND AFTER I PUT IT UP, I THOUGHT TO MY SELF THAT I SHOULD OF SAID EVERYONE BUT JON R.S., AND ALAN TAKE A GUESS THE FIRST COUPLE DAYS. I KNEW ONE OF THE THREE OF YOU WOULD HAVE THAT ANSWER I,AM ALSO SO GLAD YOU KNEW TOO JON PEACE PAUL P.S. I CAN SEE THAT THE NEXT QUESTION WILL NEED TO BE A BIT TOUGHER RS (BUT I HAVE A FEELING YOU,LL ALSO KNOW IT TOO (COOL)

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: another blues trivia

Paul,

Keep it up. I think the important thing is to discuss those ledgends and pioneers who deserved to be recognized. Also, the stories are incredible and help us understand what I think is the very important of the American experience and American history that is mostly not known.

Paul, you brought up a great one and a fascinating one. I remember the reactions and looks of the young kids who were at the Newport Festival. I believe Martin Scorcase did a really strong episode about him on the Blues documentary.

I have one in mind to do that is someone still living.

Email  
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: another blues trivia

Rather unhelpfully, my own copy of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Down And Out Blues" (1960) has a large photo of Sonny Boy the 1st on the cover - but all the music is by Sonny Boy the 2nd.

Incidentally, this album leads off with the track "Don't Start Me To Talkin'" - which those with long memories will recognise as the title of the column I wrote in "Rock On" in the late '90s.