Temporary Repacement for LandV

Flutterbies are bree!

Temporary Repacement for LandV
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
So, what happened?

So, any idea why Landv.net went down this time?

Incidently, heard the news about Edwards? It doesn't seem to have much in the way of legs, but here it is:

http://www.hillnews.com/news/050703/edwards.aspx

Seems that Edwards has been getting unusual numbers of legal maximum donations from apolitical employees of law firms. People who haven't previously bothered voting, or making donations. The same day the law firm's partners' checks show up, so do checks from employees and their spouses. Many of whom, strangely enough, are Republicans. Some of whom don't recall making any donations.

You know, I always suspected that lawyers had more contempt for the law than most folks... But I thought that they at least had some delicacy about the way they violated it. This was *crude*.

Naturally, it's the same old story: Edwards' campaign doesn't know of anything illegal going down. It's all just coincidence.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Okay guys, is this adequate as a temporary place until we find a REAL home again?

Re: So, what happened?

Vladimir posted this letter on the Yahoo LandV list after receiving an offer from Mark Amerman to set up an alternate site:

----- quote -----

Thanks, Mark

I will forward your offer to Leonid, but I am not sure it will be accepted, as it is his domain and considerations. Also, it looks by the quote from his letter "Is completely broken, could not fix it yet, could not reboot. We need to come up with security first, then I will rebuild it again" it is the second area. Unfortunately, with huge knowledge in different areas of conventional programming I know very little about Linux security, so it will be uphill battle. Some benefitial effect - it will allow me to push more actively into new areas of employment.

To everybody:

I thought some time ago about creating second version of LandV to complement first one and been based on somebody else hosting (with their own system problems). There are drowbacks to it, we probably would lose this convenient Vbulletin design, and/or I would need immediate and monthly help with hosting expenses. Come up with your best ideas.

Anyway, be prepared to longer interruption. Use this LandV and ICinexile. Don't lose the feeling of belonging. Sorry for this happening.

I'll let you know, periodically, how the work is going.

----- end quote -----

Brett, if you missed the addresses for the Yahoo LandV list and the Yahoo ICinexile forum, here they are:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LandV http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinexile

If you want to get into the ICinexile forum, after signing up for Yahoo groups, you'll have to get an invite from Carolyn. If you need her email address, let me know.

Also note: Your email handler might perceive the emails from the Yahoo groups to be junk mail, so you should check your junk mail folders periodically after signing up for these groups.

Oops! Posted wrong quote--here's the latest...

----- quote from Vladimir -----

Mark

We met yesterday with Leonid and discussed all current circumstances.

There are facts:

Somebody marked this server for close attention and destroyed it in less than one day of full operation with new passwords. We do not have very big knowledge in LINUX world to research who did it, and how to prevent it from happening again.

What we are doing, we are trying, first, to create some easier methods to restore the server (the buildup required about 10 hours), and to rearrange some security arrangements we have.

Second, we are trying to learn as quickly as possible what security measures should be used to upgrade the security of this server.

It will require time.

Now, about possibility of creating alternative site. I still need to think about it. Even with me being out of work, there is tremendous number of things to do. The biggest hurdle is licensing. We do not want to lose the license

on Vbulletin, and it is not possible to use it in two places at the same time. Also, with me volunteering on maintenance duties, still there is matter of paying monthly expenses for hosting in other places than Leonid's production servers. We probably should share these expenses somehow.

The third hurdle is technically using software like Vbulletin written in PHP and MySQL on hosts which do not give access to users on root level. This one is possible to overcome withchoosing the host which already is familiar with other Vbulletin forum on it. And I know already about such hosts.

I'll try to research this third technical question today or tomorrow and share with you what I have found.

----- end quote -----

Re: This forum

As long as I can keep up with the rest of you folks, for a bit of discussion and argument now and again, I will be pleased with most any site.

The attack on LandV was a pretty low blow. I wonder why it happened, as well as to who was behind the attack.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Okay guys, is this adequate as a temporary place until we find a REAL home again?