Return to Website

Physics Discussion

This is the place for questions and comments! I will usually answer questions within 24 hours, but since I am only one person, I might take a few days to get to your question. Submit your questions early if you want an answer in time!

Physics Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help !!!

hello! i have to do the experiment.
Topic:thermal conduction
purpose:to determine thethermal conductivity of glass
apparatus:a boiling tube,thermometer,beaker ,2stirrers,cork stopper,stopwatch,pair of vernier calipers,retort stand and clamp, ice cube,hot water.
procedure:
-measure the internal and external diameters of a boiling tube and the average radius r and the thickness xof the wall of the boiling tube .
-fill up a beaker with water and ice.clamp the boiling tube on to a retort stand and lower the boiling tube into the beaker until the whole of the boiling tube almost submerge in the ice and water mixture.
-pour hot water into the boiling tube until the water level inside the tube reaches about 1cm below the ice-water levelin the beaker. the temperature of the ice and water mixture inside the beaker should be 0 celcius be4 the hot water is poured into the boiling tube.
-insert the stirrer and thermometer through the cork stopper .
-record time t and the corresponding temperature starting at temperature around 30 celcius .recors of time t and temperature proceed until the temperature in the boiling tube reaches about 3 celcius .the ice-water mixture in the beaker and the warm water in the boiling tube should be constantly stirred throughout the experiment.

now ..i have to do the report .
can u give some suggestion to me about the sources of error and precaution in this experiment?and modification to overcome the weakness of the experiment and comment ???