Return to Website

Physics Discussion

This is the place for questions and comments! I will usually answer questions within 24 hours, but since I am only one person, I might take a few days to get to your question. Submit your questions early if you want an answer in time!

Physics Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Electric circuits - killer problem

My physics teacher's a really cool guy, but he has a sick sense of humor. He teaches us equations and stuff, and problems to go along with them. Then for the test, he gives us a huge megaproblem using all the equations and situations and stuff we've "learned" ('cause there's usually about a week and a half or two per chapter). In particular, my question involves electric circuits. Basically, we've learned P=IV, E=Pt, and V=IR, and derivatives thereof (like P=I^2*R). Then on the test, he gives us this monstrosity (you should see this in a fixed-width font):

+-VVV-VVV-+
| |
+-VVV--+---VVV---+--+
| | | |
| +---VVV---+ (A1)
| |
+----VVV--(V1)--VVV--+---------VVV-------+---+
| | | |
--- + +-------VVV---------+ (V2)
- |
--- |
- - +-(A3)-VVV-+ |
| +-+ +--VVV--+ >
(V3) | +----VVV---+ | <
| +-+ +--VVV--+ >
| | +------VVV-----------+ | |
+----| +--(A2)--+
| +--VVV--+ |
+--VVV--+ +--------------+
+--VVV--+

The series of V's are resistors, each resistor is 2 ohms, and the battery is 24 volts. We need to find total R, total I, and the readings at volt-meters V1, V2, and V3, and at amp-meters A1, A2, and A3. The test is over and done now, but could you at least tell me the answers and how you got them?