Return to Website

Physics Discussion

This is the place for questions and comments! I will usually answer questions within 24 hours, but since I am only one person, I might take a few days to get to your question. Submit your questions early if you want an answer in time!

Physics Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
physics question, please help!

during a mission to mars, a space probe is intended to drop through the atmosphere, land on the surface and then deploy a mobile ranger carrying a camera. UNfortunately, the small explosive charge designed to open the parachute misfires, the parachute does not open and the camera is blasted away from the probe.

Mission control is amazed when the next day they realize the ranger is in full working order, except for the missing camera. Analysis of entry data allows them to determine where the camer will land. As the parachute did not open, it can be assumed that air resistence was negligible.

Using the data below, work out where the camer will land.

At the time of the explosion the probe was at a height of 1200m and it was traveling vertically towards the surface at 27ms-1

The probe has a mass of 229kg, of which 2.20kg was the camera that became detached

The probe crashed 912m to the west of the expected landing site.

The probe crashed 21.0s after the explosion

acceleration due to gravity on mars is 3.70ms-1

please help me!!!